There is an abundance of opinion. We are in the age where everyone is encouraged to speak their minds and their voices be heard. There is really nothing wrong with that. Growing up in an era where explaining oneself was deemed “talking back” and disrespectful, I can appreciate why people want to be heard and talk endlessly. It could be precious.
The internet offers a free-for-all venue for opinions. Some are entertainingly funny, outrageously silly and some are just plain hateful and irresponsible. When lies are quoted and passed on and foretold over and over again regardless of how it superficially sounds like the truth, it isn’t the truth. People take it, run with it and spread it and that is ” blissful”.
Ironically, the world is all opinion but no one is taking a stand.
People are all about rights. Sadly, rights without responsibility and accountability is entitlement- a false one. But the standards believers adhere to, are different from that of the world. Where it is tempting to be like the world, we should:
- Speak of His righteousness, and praises all day long. (Psalm 35:28)
- Speak truthfully to our neighbors (Ephesians 4:25)
- Avoid unwholesome talk (instead helpful words to build people up and those who listen or read) (Ephesians 4:29)
- Avoid obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking ( Ephesians 5:4)
- Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs (Ephesians 5:19)
- Edify each other (1 Thessalonians 5:11)
Some people may have a hard time doing these because “for out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.” We put in garbage, we put out garbage. we put in lies, we put out lies. When our heart is full of bitterness and anger, we will articulate the same easily.
We are also reminded that one day, we will give account on the day of judgment FOR EVERY careless word we have spoken.
So what is in your heart? Speak now, and be a blessing to everyone.